Many new residents in the Makarau and Kaukapakapa area may not be aware that we have a community hall owned and operated in the heart of Makarau. This hall is managed and looked after by the Makarau Hall committee and members of the hall. The hall is available for hire for private functions (weddings and parties!) to members(membership is $30 per family and $20 singles) and the committee run regular community events to help raise funds for the maintenance, insurance and upkeep of this historical gem. We are also hoping to update our 100 year Makarau History book with stories from people (both new and not so new) to the area. If you would like to write an article or tell a story of what it is like living out in Makarau, please feel free to contact us at email@example.com, we’d love to hear from you.
The Makarau Hall was completed in 1906 and will be 112 years old this year. We hope to do a number of refurbishments to the hall, spruce up the gardens this year and really make it really shine.
We will be holding a “Massive Makarau Makeover” working bee on Sunday March 4th from 9am-2:30pm followed by a BBQ and a beer. We would love any support, so if you have any time to spare, please come and give us a hand on Sunday 4th March. It would be great if you could bring your own tools and or/gardening gear.
We also have some funevents planned for 2018:
* Buy, sell and swap – hire a stall for $10 to sell your old things or crafts. The hall committee will have tea, coffee and food for sale (all proceeds to the hall).Contact firstname.lastname@example.org 420 4282 for bookings. Sunday 25th March, 9am – 2pm. A great opportunity to check out the work we have done!
* Antiques and High Tea –we will have speakers talking about antiques, Sunday 15th April, 1:30pm -contact email@example.com or Christine on 420 4042 for tickets
* A Health talk with the lovely Melissa Lowe of The Thrive Guide End of April (TBC)
* Makarau Hall AGM – This meeting is open to the community 7th May 8pm, join the committee and help run fun events in our small community and promote the hall.
* Family Pizza and Games Night (table tennis and darts)– (TBC)
* Supper Theatre – Come see the Mad Makarau Players acting up once again! October 2018 (TBC)
* Meet the Neighbours – Nov 2018 (TBC)
Like us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/Makarau-Hall-1630940337133218/
If you are interested in hiring the hall, becoming a member, have any questions about our events or would like to help, please email Makarauhall1906@gmail.com, we would love to hear from you! If you would like to donate some money towards this refurbishment, please go to our give a little page: https://givealittle.co.nz/cause/massive-makarau-makeover