Recently Te Awaroa Museum had an enquiry regarding the founder of Helensville, John McLeod and a lady named Agnes Brown. There were historic records showing that Agnes Brown had married John McLeod in 1862, but it is known that the founder of Helensville married Helen Alexander. The confusion possibly stems from the Henderson Mill in the 1850’s where two men named John McLeod were both employed by the mill’s owners Thomas Henderson and John McFarlane. Before he was the founder of Helensville, John McLeod was employed at the Henderson Mill in 1854 as the Manager of the Mill. Then in 1857, Thomas Henderson cleared the land around the Mill to create Delta Farm.
He employed a Shepherd named John McLeod to manage the farm and animals. Then to avoid confusion he was nicknamed “Shepherd John”. The founder of Helensville, the manager of the mill was nicknamed “Long John”. “Shepherd John” was married to Agnes Brown in 1862 at the Henderson Mill and they are buried together in the All Saints Cemetery in Kaukapakapa with one of their daughters Frances.
“Long John” sailed back to Nova Scotia in 1861 to retrieve his wife Helen Alexander and their children, returning to NZ aboard the Seagull, and settling in Te Awaroa, renaming it Helensville in 1862. The mill is believed to have ceased production in 1868. “Shepherd John” in 1873 was granted the license for the Oratia/Falls Hotel in Henderson. In 1876 he left for Henderson with Agnes for Kaukapakapa where they remained until their passing. “Long John” is buried in Rhode Island, and his wife Helen Alexander is buried at the Waikumete Cemetery.
Written by Dante Numa for Te Awaroa Museum.




